Friday 4 May 2012

Describing Handel

I had a meeting yesterday with a potential director for a staged Handel offering. I had one hour to win him over to the project, so I decided to tell him what it is I love about Handel and his music. Why is it still so important and relevant, over 250 years after his death? What is his universal appeal? Well - I'm not going to list everything here, but in a nutshell, I believe that one of the reasons he is still so popular and admired is that he translates beautifully into the present day, like any great artist. He was clearly of his time in mid 18th century London, but equally, I can imagine him today, programming a website, trading stocks and shares and exploring new musical possibilities. He'd feel totally at home with the London coffee culture too!

No comments: